- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Tuesday, February 10 – Friday, February 13 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Exhibit is open until 7:00 p.m. on Thursday.) The Ransom Center celebrates 150 years of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland with an exhibition for the curious and curiouser of all ages. Learn about Lewis Carroll and the real Alice who inspired his story. See one of the few surviving copies of the first edition of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Discover the rich array of personal and literary references that Carroll incorporated throughout Alice. Explore the surprising transformations of Alice and her story as they have traveled through time and across continents. Follow the White Rabbit’s path through the exhibition, have a tea party, or watch a 1933 paper filmstrip that has been carefully treated by Ransom Center conservators. The Center’s vast collections offer a new look at a story that has delighted generations and inspired artists from Salvador Dalí to Walt Disney. FREE! Harry Ransom Center, 300 W 21st St, Austin.
- Family Movie Night: Maleficent – Tuesday, February 10 at 6:30 p.m. A vengeful fairy is driven to curse an infant princess, only to discover that the child may be the one person who can restore peace to their troubled land. Rated PG. FREE! APL – Twin Oaks Branch, 1800 S Fifth St, Austin.
- Valentine’s Concert: Songs of Love – Thursday, February 12 at Noon. Take a 30-minute lunchtime break to hear members of One Ounce Opera share their favorite Valentine’s Day-themed songs spanning centuries and styles. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Hello Lamp Post: Austin Launch Party – Thursday, February 12, from 4-6:00 p.m. The hidden life of Austin’s street furniture will come to light with the launch of Hello Lamp Post, an international art project created by London-based designers Pan Studio which invites people to strike up conversations with familiar objects around the city using text messaging. Starting February 12, anyone can text the official Hello Lamp Post phone number and “wake up” lamp posts, mail boxes, hydrants, or even buildings and discover what these objects have to say. The public is invited to a free kick-off event, complete with drinks and bites. FREE! Republic Square Park, 422 W Guadalupe, Austin.
- Valentine’s Escape Movie in the Park: 50 First Dates – Friday, February 13 at 7:30 p.m. Feeling the love in the air? Adults are invited to celebrate a perfect Valentine’s weekend with popcorn and a movie in the park, featuring 50 First Dates. FREE! (Childcare available for a fee.) Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W Dittmar Rd, Austin.
For many more free weekday activities, check out What’s Up? Weekly!