Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun in and around Austin:
- Sound and Cinema: Raiders of the Lost Ark – Wednesday, August 13 at 7:30 p.m. The Golden Dawn Arkestra will perform a tribute to Raiders of the Lost Ark, followed by the film screening on The Alamo’s giant inflatable outdoor screen. Folding chairs and blankets are encouraged. Picnics are allowed, but no outside alcohol may be brought onto the Long Center grounds. The food trailers will be open by 6 p.m., and the sunset concerts will begin at 7:30 p.m. The movie will immediately follow (after dark). Rated PG. FREE! The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Strike Out Hunger with the Round Rock Express (Round Rock) – Wednesday, August 13 at 7:05 p.m. Help Strike Out Hunger with the Capital Area Food Bank by bringing two H-E-B branded canned goods in exchange for a FREE lawn ticket to watch the Express take on the Reno Aces. Dell Diamond, 3400 Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- 101X Summer Cinema: Back to the Future – Wednesday, August 13 at 8:00 p.m. Arrive early with your blankets, lawn chairs and appetites. Food specials in the café. Movies start at dusk (around 8:30) but you don’t want to lose your seat. Rated PG. FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Movies in the Park: The Lego Movie (Georgetown) – Thursday, August 14 at 8:30 p.m. The movie will be held in the gazebo area and will begin at sunset, approximately 8:45 p.m. Free popcorn, pickles, and bottled water, plus free face painting and glow in the dark necklaces. Rated PG. FREE! San Gabriel Park, 445 E Morrow St, Georgetown.
- Movies at the Lake: The Lego Movie (Kyle) – Friday, August 15, 30 minutes after sunset. The City of Kyle Parks and Recreation Department has a movie screen that is 20′ wide by 12’6″ tall and measures 282″ diagonally! Movies begin 30 minutes after sunset and are shown at the amphitheater at Lake Kyle (click here for directions and map). Rated PG. FREE! Lake Kyle, 700 Lehman Rd, Kyle.
For a more comprehensive look at this week’s family friendly fun, check out What’s Up? Weekly (Aug 11 – Aug 15, 2014).