- Dia de los Ninos – Dia de los Libros – Monday, April 27 at 6:00 p.m. Experience the rhythms of Africa through singing, drumming, and dancing with Elizabeth Kahura. Participants will learn how African musical instruments are used as a means of communication through storytelling and poetry. The program will be followed by a craft. FREE! APL – University Hills Branch, 4721 Loyola Ln, Austin.
- Speaking & Signing with Aaron Franklin – Wednesday, April 29 at 7:00 p.m. In this much-anticipated debut, Franklin and coauthor Jordan Mackay unlock the secrets behind truly great barbecue and share years’ worth of hard-won knowledge. Franklin Barbecue is a definitive resource for the backyard pitmaster. Wristbands are required to join the signing line at this event and are only available with the purchase of a copy of Franklin Barbecue from BookPeople. The speaking portion of this event is FREE and open to the public. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Studio Spotlight: Swan Lake (RSVP) – Thursday, April 30 at Noon and 6:00 p.m. Have you ever wanted to watch a professional dance company in action? Up-close, personal, and informal Studio Spotlight events give guests a FREE, behind-the-scenes look at the choreography and elements of an upcoming Ballet Austin production, while it is still in the works. Dancers perform excerpts from the show while Artistic Director Stephen Mills and Associate Artistic Director Michelle Martin lead a brief lecture and Q&A. The express lunchtime session also includes an optional costume viewing and dancer-focused Q&A from 12:30-12:45 p.m. The happy hour session lasts from 6-7:00 p.m. and features guest speakers and a dancer Q&A. Recommended for ages 11 years and older. Reserve your seat for either session here. Ballet Austin, AustinVentures StudioTheater, 501 W 3rd St, Austin.
- Taming of the Shrew – Thursday, April 30 and Friday, May 1 at 8:00 p.m. From the battle of the sexes to the marriage of true minds, Austin Shakespeare transforms The Taming of the Shrew to the Austin of the 1890s, where city folk and cowboys collide. Bring a picnic and a blanket and enjoy Shakespeare under the beautiful evening skies across from Barton Springs Pool. Featuring Gwendolyn Kelso as Kate and Marc Pouhé as Petruchio. Post show audience/actor discussions after each performance. Presented by The City of Austin in coordination with Austin Shakespeare. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Pre-Cinco de Mayo Celebration – Friday, May 1 from 5:30-8:00 p.m. Families will enjoy games, food, door prizes, and Tejano music. Stay after the celebration to enjoy a Movie Under the Stars. Beginning at dusk, Metz will show Rise of the Guardians (Rated PG) on the front lawn, so bring your blankets and chairs. One free popcorn and drink per person. This is a dog friendly event–bring your pups to the celebration for games and doggie treats. FREE! Rain date: May 8. Metz Rec Center, 2407 Canterbury St, Austin.
For more free weekday fun, check out What’s Up? Weekly!