- Happy Birthday Americana Theater – Wednesday, April 22 from 4:30-8:00 p.m. The Americana opened as a state-of-the-art theater in April 1965. When it closed in April 1987, it was the last single-screen theater in Austin. April 2015 marks the 50th Anniversary of the Americana Theater, home of the Yarborough Branch since 1999. Celebrate with refreshments, live music, and a film screening. FREE! APL – Yarborough Branch, 2200 Hancock Dr, Austin.
- Earth Day ATX Science Extravaganza – Wednesday, April 22 from 6-8:00 p.m. Art.Science.Gallery. is gathering Austin’s science-savvy organizations together for an epic science extravaganza. This event is intended to celebrate planet Earth by raising funds for the Sustainable Food Center’s new Teaching Apiary — an observation colony of honeybees that will be installed in the SFC Teaching Garden this fall–as well bringing awareness to the plethora of science and nature related spaces, organizations, lecture series, and events in central Texas. FREE but donations will be collected at the door. Art.Science.Gallery, 916 Springdale Rd, Bldg 2 # 102, Austin.
- Movies in the Park: 180 Degrees South – Wednesday, April 22 at 8:00 p.m. Movies in the Park is a series of free films brought to you by the Austin Parks Foundation, and presented by the #1 movie theater in America, the Alamo Drafthouse. Dogs, picnics, and lawn chairs are welcome. Rated PG. FREE! Wooldridge Park, 900 Guadalupe St, Austin.
- FUSION Fashion Show – Thursday, April 23 at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to this year’s annual UT fashion show, organized by students in University Fashion Group. Twenty-four apparel design students will present over 120 original designs on the runway using a mix of textures and techniques. Designers for “Fusion” have created cutting-edge performance designs that move beyond ordinary uses–they become safety garments, incorporate digital prints, programmable lights, performance fabrics, as well as other creative innovations. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Fashion show begins at 7:15 p.m. Tickets are FREE and available at the box office prior to or on the day of the show. Frank Erwin Center, 1701 Red River St, Austin.
- Movie in the Park: Big Hero 6 – Friday, April 24 at 8:00 p.m. Bring your own blanket, low lawn chair, and cooler with snacks. Movie will play indoors if there is inclement weather. Rated PG. FREE! Northwest Rec Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
For another 60+ events happening around Austin this week, check out What’s Up? Weekly!