Homeschool educators and their students are invited to explore the Bullock Museum on Wednesday, September 17, 2014, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Admission to the Museum exhibits will be free to all homeschoolers, chaperones, and teachers, but you still need to get an exhibit admission sticker at the ticketing counter. Also, make sure to stop by the Resource Table for new activities and lesson plans created just for this event. No reservations required — drop in anytime between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
This fall’s Homeschool Day will help your students discover American Indian heritage in Texas through special lesson plans, curriculum-based activities, and more.
- Explore Museum exhibits with resources in-hand: a scavenger hunt for kids seven and under, and a journal designed for students ages eight and up to help them reflect on the American Indian experience, past and present.
- Pick up lesson plans and student worksheets focused on American Indian heritage that include different activities for every age group.
- Drop by the classrooms to complete two projects for students to take home.
- Engage in conversation and interact with hands-on objects in Museum exhibits, as facilitated by Museum volunteers.
- From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., find out how online resources and activities from KLRU-PBS can supplement your at-home curriculum.
- Create Your Own… (10 a.m., 1 p.m.): Discover the stories behind ancient rock art (10 a.m.) or bison hide paintings (1 p.m.). This art-making workshop is appropriate for kids ages 7 and up and lasts about 25 minutes. Space is limited and free tickets are first come, first served.
- Float Your Canoe (11 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m.): Students ages 7 and up will learn what it takes to construct a canoe that floats and do a short science experiment in this 25-minute classroom session presented by Central Texas Discover Engineering. Space is limited and free tickets are first come, first served.
- American Indian Stories (11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m.): This 30-minute story time for younger students, ages 6 and under, will feature stories about American Indians in Texas and a take-home art project.
Home school families can also receive discounted school group rates for Exhibit, IMAX® Theatre, and Texas Spirit Theater admissions.