If you’ve ever read the “About” page on Free Fun in Austin, you know I have serious wanderlust. I went to primary school in Australia, vacationed as a kid in New Zealand and Hawaii, interned as a student in London, went to college in the south of France, and toured Europe with my husband before (briefly) settling in Canada. I bounced around a lot, and I loved it.
Of course, I am delighted to have landed here in sunny Texas, but I do sometimes yearn for just a wee bit of jet-setting. This morning, I got that tiny taste of travel, without even leaving Austin!
Adelaide, South Australia is Austin’s sister city, so it seems fitting that I started this morning with a little jaunt Down Under. This fun 3D Chalk Art installation is part of a blitz campaign that will have international-themed artwork popping up all over town this week. You can find this picture of Australia at Barton Creek Square (2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy) through tomorrow, September 21, 2014. Head on over there and take a surfing selfie. You may even win a prize — more on that in a bit!
After my lovely escape to a cooler climate (it’s spring in Australia, you know), I headed up north for a moped tour of Europe. It’s not every Saturday you get to visit the Arc de Triomphe, Sagrada Familia and the Colosseum in one fell swoop!
- Australia – Saturday, September 20 – Sunday, September 21, 2014, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Barton Creek Square, downstairs from the food court (2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy)
- Europe – Saturday, September 20 – Sunday, September 21, 2014, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. The Domain, across the street from the Apple Store (11410 Century Oaks Terrace)
- South America – Monday, September 22 – Friday, September 26, 2014, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. University Co-op (2246 Guadalupe St)
- Africa – Saturday, September 27 – Sunday, September 28, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Pecan Street Festival (E 6th St & Brazos St)
- Asia – Saturday, September 27 – Sunday, September 28, from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Pecan Street Festival (E 6th St & Sabine St)
And now for the exciting part. If you take a selfie of yourself at any of these locations and enter it in the #globalreadychallenge, you could win the trip of a lifetime, to one of 20 countries!
Countries the #GlobalReadyChallenge winner can choose from: Australia; Greek Islands; Paris, France; Bali, Indonesia; Thailand; Costa Rica; Barcelona, Spain; Italy; Amsterdam, Netherlands; Brazil; London, England; Dominican Republic; Mexico; South Africa; Peru; Iceland; Germany; Japan; Morocco; and Argentina.
Here’s how to enter:
- Snap a photo of yourself posing at one of the five 3D Global Ready Chalk Art installations.
- Upload it to the #globalreadychallenge website.
- Share your picture and ask your friends to vote (the votes will count towards your final score in the contest).
- Win an epic adventure to 1 of 20 countries in the world (fingers crossed!).
The fine print: