|Hello from the chilly North!|
Happy Spring Break! I have run away for a wintery vacation in Canada with my two big kids, while my wonderful husband holds down the fort in Austin with our two little ones. You won’t be hearing much from me over the next few days, but I have recruited some of my favorite local bloggers to write about what they love to do in Austin for free! So look forward to hearing a few new voices on Free Fun in Austin this week, and then be sure to check out their fabulous blogs!
As promised, to kick off Spring Break, here is a list of a few of my favorite free spots to visit in Austin and beyond. Just remember before venturing downtown, that SXSW may make traffic a bit crazy. You can visit the City of Austin website for details on street closures this week.
- Cathedral of Junk
- Zilker Botanical Garden
- Texas Memorial Museum
- Austin Nature & Science Center
- Laguna Gloria
- Mayfield Park
- Mt. Bonnell
- Mueller Lake Park
- Central Market North Lamar – outdoor playground and free live music
- Zilker Park Playground
- Southpark Meadows – The Grove (playground)
- Arthouse at the Jones Center
- The Texas Capitol & Visitor’s Center
- Good Earth Petting Farm – Here is how you can visit for free (or almost free) over Spring Break:
- Spend $20 at Sassy Pea Market and receive free petting farm admission. Sassy Pea features grass fed beef, local eggs, and unique hand-crafted gifts by local artisans. Snacks, drinks, and coffee available in the store. Regular petting farm admission is $2/child 1-12 years. Enjoy nature in the giant farm field and meet the donkey, goats, sheep, and pigs!
- BOGO admission all week at Good Earth Petting Farm located at Sassy Pea Market. Valued at $2/child 1-12 years.
- Spring Break Hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday