- This event has passed.
July 9, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
The needle. The quill. The squid. The printing press. No matter the source, ink is an essential tool in the modern and natural world, from the arts to the ocean floor. Join us for Thinkery21: Inkery as we put ink to paper, skin and canvas.
Tickets are $15 per person purchased in advance and $20 at the door. However, this WILL SELL OUT, so buy in advance!
The evening’s line up includes:
• Old School Typed Poetry – Using vintage typewriters, Typewriter Rodeo puts ink to page in quirky poems, sonnets and haikus. Give the talented bards of Typewriter Rodeo a topic and walk away with a custom verse.
• The Body as a Canvas – Unlike a flat canvas, humans have curves, bumps and bones to navigate when permanently applying ink. Heralded as the Spiritual Godfather of urban tattooing, local tattoo artist, Zulu, of Zulu Tattoo illuminates the complexities of creating works of art on the human form.
• Henna Tattoos – Not sure if tattoos are for you? Let the custom tattoo artists of Zulu Tattoo introduce you to the philosophical and artist side of tattooing with nonpermanent henna tattoos.
• Chinese Calligraphy – Chinese calligrapher, Xia Zeng, guides you through this traditional art as you make your own characters.
• Texas-style Gyotaku – The artists of Inked Animal demonstrate the traditional Japanese printmaking technique, Gyotaku, with a Texas twist.
• Letterpress Bookmarks – Make your own letterpress bookmark with artists from Austin Book Arts Center using a historic printing press.
• Squid Dissections – The only recommended way to get up close and personal with a cephalopod’s ink sac.
• Group Mural- Make your mark contributing to a collaborative mural of Austin’s famous skyline.
• We’ve Got A Lot of Gall – Learn how parasitic wasps, oak trees and rusty nails have been making history since the 5th century with gall ink.