- This event has passed.
The Future is Circular: A Sustainable Fashion Symposium
April 27 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm - Free
Join us for The Future is Circular – an evening of talks from fashion innovators who are leading the way in transforming fashion into a more circular, sustainable industry.
The event kicks off with a fireside chat on circular design with Miranda Bennett of Miranda Bennett Studio and Lilah Horowitz, the creative lead for Eileen Fisher RENEW, hosted by Cory Skuldt of Bard Sustainability MBA and the Net Impact Wear it Wise campaign.
Next, listen to a series of 5 minute lightning talks from all corners of the Austin circular fashion scene–from Fortune 500 to new entrepreneurs to a global non-profit:
- Dell’s Circular Collection with Bayou with Love: Computer parts recycled into jewelry designed by Nikki Reed
- Open Arms: Social enterprise for the Multicultural Refugee Coalition employs refugee women in manufacturing sustainable sewn goods, including a line of repurposed home decor for IKEA.
- Classic Childhood: Online European-style children’s clothing boutique upcycling scrap fabric and men’s shirts into baby rompers and accessories
- T-Shirts for Hunger: Travis County program that employs county inmates to sew used T-shirts into reusable bags for Travis County Community Center food pantries
- KenzerQuest: 80s and 90s clothing upcycled into modern pieces by 15-year-old entrepreneur
- Paleo Denim: Austin manufacturer making selvedge denim jeans on reconditioned sewing machines, offering repair & hemming services
- Textile Exchange: A global non-profit working to reduce the textile industry’s impact on the world’s water, soil and air, and the human population
Visit http://sustainablefashionatx.com for other Sustainable Fashion Week events in Austin!
EDITOR’S NOTE: Listings on the Austin.com calendar contain user-submitted information. Make sure to double check the date, time, and location of your event!