- This event has passed.
Texas Archeology Month Fair
October 5, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm - Free
October is almost here and TARL is planning our annual Texas Archeology Month Fair! Please join us to kick off Texas Archeology Month sponsored by the Texas Historical Commision, Council of Texas Archeologists and the Texas Archeological Society. This year’s Fair will take place on October 5, 2019. Join us at the Commons learning center and on the soccer field at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus in north Austin from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for free, hands-on fun for all! Thanks to the collaboration of professional and avocational archeologists, this free event provides an interactive education experience on the history of Texas through archaeological displays, hands-on activities, and artifact identification. Along with artifact identification, kids and adults have the opportunity to test their skills in pottery-making, atlatl throwing, artifact reconstruction, excavation, and more! Other highlights of the fair will include flintknapping demonstrations and face-painting. In addition the fair offers information on innovating techniques in the field such as 3-D modeling and how scientific methods are utilized to preserve the rich history of Texas at nearby sites. Please come out to join us for this free event open to the public!
The event is open to all visitors and there’s something fun for everyone!
The Pickle Research Campus is located in north Austin near the Domain shopping center, just west of MoPac at the corner of Burnet Road and Braker Lane.
This year’s activities and demonstrations will include:
• Atlatl and rabbit sticks (prehistoric hunting techniques)
• Painted pebbles
• Rock art
• Artifact Show and Tell
• Dance Demonstration by Great Promise for American Indians
• Artifact Reconstruction
• Face painting
• And many more!
TARL’s event partners include:
• UT’s Anthropological Society
• UT’s Anthropology department
• UT’s Classics department
• UT’s Mesoamerica Center
• The Texas Archeological Society
• The Texas Memorial Museum
• Great Promise for American Indians
• The Travis County Archeological Society
• Texas State University’s Forensic Anthropology program
• Texas State University’s Anthropology department
• The Gault School of Archaeological Research
• The Council of Texas Archeologists
• The Texas Historical Commission
• Texas Parks and Wildlife
• The Lower Colorado River Authority
• Texas Military Forces, Camp Mabry
• Many individual volunteers
Thank you so much to our partners and sponsors, who are helping to make this event possible!
We are delighted to kick off the 2019 Texas Archeology Month. For more TAM events going on throughout October please visit:
EDITOR’S NOTE: Listings on the Austin.com calendar contain user-submitted information. Make sure to double check the date, time, and location of your event!