- This event has passed.
Roots & Wings Festival
October 27, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm - $1 – $3
Celebrating trees, pollinators, and all creatures!On Halloween weekend, we invite you to explore the outdoors, get your face painted, and celebrate in your best nature-themed costume! The Roots & Wings Festival is a combined community-wide appreciation party for Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day. This day of celebration just needs you! Come in costume or visit the costume creation station as we fill Zilker Botanical Garden with butterflies, bugs, and faeries. Let nature be your inspiration! Some of What’s Happening:
- 9:20 – Machica Dance Group performs a Butterfly Ceremony
- 10:00 – Story Time with the Austin Public Library
- 1:00 – Singing Zoologist Lukas Miller takes the stage
- 1:30 – Costume parade and final butterfly release of the day
- Butterfly tag and release station
- Kid’s tree climb with City of Austin arborists! First come, first served.
- Costume creation station
- Nature play and nature crafts
- Guided nature walks through Zilker Botanical Garden
- Food trucks (or, bring your own picnic!)
Zilker Botanical Garden Entrance Fees
- $1 for kids under 12 and seniors 62 and over
- $2 for adults, Austin resident
- $3 for adults, non-residents of Austin
Getting ThereGo Green! We encourage carpooling, ridesharing, and use of mass transit. Plan your trip via CAP Metro: www.capmetro.org Free parking available in the Stratford lot. The Stratford parking area is a gravel lot located under and adjacent to the Mopac Bridge. Attendees should enter the Zilker Botanical Garden through the Hartman Gate (also known as the Rose Gate) located at 2300 Stratford Drive.
Can’t make it to Zilker?There will also be satellite events occurring throughout the city. Check out Roots & Wings pop-up events at the locations below:
- Patterson Park in East/Central Austin
- Dittmar Park in Southwest Austin
- Alderbrook Park in North Austin
- Brentwood Park in North Austin
We can’t wait to see you at the Roots & Wings Festival!Find us on Facebook
The City of Austin is proud to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require assistance for participation in our programs or use of our facilities, please call (512) 974-3914.
The 2018 Roots & Wings Festival is a reimagining of Austin’s Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day. This is a collaborative creation, energized by the efforts of many partners. Key partners include:
- Austin Parks Foundation
- City of Austin:
- Austin Nature & Science Center, Parks and Recreation
- Mobile Library, Austin Public Library
- Community Tree Preservation Division, Development Services
- Grow Green, Watershed Protection
- Park Rangers, Parks and Recreation
- Urban Forestry Program, Parks & Recreation
- Zilker Botanical Garden, Parks & Recreation
- Texas A&M Forest Service
EDITOR’S NOTE: Listings on the Austin.com calendar contain user-submitted information. Make sure to double check the date, time, and location of your event!