- This event has passed.
Lady Bird Day at the Wildflower Center
July 24, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
The Wildflower Center honors its founder, Lady Bird Johnson, and all that she did for our nation’s treasured environment on Lady Bird Day. Lady Bird Day recognizes Mrs. Johnson’s environmental legacy and the legislation that she inspired. With her influence, President Johnson’s administration enacted more than 200 environmental laws with lasting national and local impact, including the 1965 Highway Beautification Act.
Tag and explore #BeLikeLadyBird to celebrate Mrs. Johnson, and learn more here: http://www.ladybirdjohnson.org/
* Listen in for story time
* Make flower crafts
* View a short film about Mrs. Johnson throughout the day in the auditorium
* Reflect with some writing/drawing exercises for all ages
* Behind-the-scenes: Join a guided tour of the Wildflower Center’s interior spaces, featuring historic items owned by Lady Bird Johnson. 11:30 a.m.
* Shop the sale of a small selection of books owned by President and Mrs. Johnson, from the Johnson Estate at the Store. Prices begin at $50.
* View four rarely exhibited portraits of Mrs. Johnson from the Center’s collection in the McDermott Learning Center (one day only)
* Book signing: “The ABCs of ATX” — Author Kelly Sharp, 12 to 3 p.m. at the Store
* Book signing: “Indelible Austin” — Author Michael Barnes, 12 to 3 p.m. at the Store
EDITOR’S NOTE: Listings on the Austin.com calendar contain user-submitted information. Make sure to double check the date, time, and location of your event!