- This event has passed.
Brave New Benefit Party
May 28, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
A message from John and Cat, partners and operators of Brave New Books……..
Brave New Books has always been more than just a bookstore or a retail outlet. Above all, it is a community space. A space for people to explore controversial ideas and learn how they can take control of their lives.
Running this community space is mostly a community service. While we love the honor that comes with managing and preserving this space, it has not come without it’s sacrifices.
Since we took over the bookstore one year ago, we have had our share of ups and downs. We have dedicated immense time and energy, including many all nighters and working two other jobs to keep the space alive.
At the moment, times are tough and we are exhausted. We are committed to keeping the bookstore going in to the future but we need your help. We are reaching out to the community to assist us in maintaining and growing this amazing space so it can continue it’s mission of freeing minds and empowering people.
To that end, we are throwing a Benefit Concert and Party. The event will feature live music, booze, and games. We’ll hear from organizers of weekly events and radio show hosts. We’ll also be organizing volunteers for outreach and support and we’ll be raising money to help us roll out new programs and keep the store alive and kickin’.
Here are some of the things we, along with our great community, have accomplished this past year:
– hosted great authors and researchers like Jim Marrs, Judyth Vary Baker, and Roger Stone
– launched a successful online store (http://bravenewbookstore.com)
– hosted a Jimmie Vaughan Concert
– built out a studio space, work space, and lounge in the back room
– greatly increased our natural health product selection
– launched three radio shows on Logos Radio Network
– remodled the store, many times…..
– hosted tai chi instruction and family yoga classes
– hosted a regular unassisted birth meetup
– hosted a monthly mindfulness and meditation class
– decorated the entry way and back room with activist signs and memories from the past 9 years
– revamped and upgraded the used book section
– upgraded event projector to high quality 1080p (thanks Eddie Craig!)
– hosted regular Youngevity & doTERRA meetings
– launched the weekly Conspiracy Comedy Open Mic Night
– lanched the weekly Freedom Fellowship Underground Church
Help us get through this hump and we will continue to innovate and improve upon the store for years to come!
If you’d like to support us now, here’s how you can donate:
PayPal: [email protected]
Shop online: http://bravenewbookstore.com
Send us an email at bravenewbooks AT hushmaill.com if you would like to sign up to volunteer in some way. If you have ideas on how you can or help or how you would like to help, let us know.
We want to thank you for your continual support of this amazing operation. Without our cusomters and community there would be nothing. We look forward to working with you to keep this space thriving for decades to come. Help us to help you and together we will build the best Brave ever!
John and Cat
EDITOR’S NOTE: Listings on the Austin.com calendar contain user-submitted information. Make sure to double check the date, time, and location of your event!