“Oh say can you see” some star-spangled fun in your near future? Celebrating the 4th of July is hands-down one of the BEST things about summer! Can you remember the excitement of seeing fireworks as a child? Do you still feel that thrill today? I just love neighborhood parades, backyard grilling with friends and family, and wearing our red, white, and blue outfits to celebrate Independence Day.
Of course, seeing fireworks is one of the July items on the Austin Summer Fun Checklist for Kids. Below, we’ve gathered listings of all the fireworks shows in the Austin area (note that some are happening before and after July 4th) so that you can plan ahead for your ultimate holiday celebration. Just be sure you remember to mark this one off your checklist and tag your July 4th Instagram photos with #AustinSummerFun for a chance to win extra prizes!
Fireworks on June 28, 2014:
Cost: FREE admission and parking.
Luling Watermelon Thump
Where: Luling (45 miles southeast of Austin)
When: Thursday, June 26 – Sunday, June 29.
Activities: Seed spitting contests, watermelon eating contests, live music and more!
Cost: FREE admission on Saturday, June 28th from 11am – 5 pm. Admission is also FREE on Thursday, June 26 starting at 5pm and on Sunday, June 29th. Admission varies from $5 – $20 at other times.
More Info: http://www.watermelonthump.com/
Fireworks on July 4, 2014:
Activities: While Auditorium Shores is under construction, this show will move out to the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) this year. COTA will host a variety of fun, old-fashioned July 4th holiday activities, including interactive games and contests for the whole family. There are plenty of details regarding what is allowed to bring in and what is restricted.
Bob Schneider’s 4th of July Bash
Where: Nutty Brown Cafe (12225 Highway 290 West, Austin)
Cedar Park 4th of July Celebration
Where: Milburn Park (1901 Sun Chase Blvd.)
When: 4pm – 10:30pm
Fireworks: (specific time not yet provided)
Activities: Come celebrate and enjoy live music, bingo, a washer tournament, air castles, free watermelon and a fireworks display. Fees apply for food concessions, face painting, carnival games, hamster balls, super slide, quad jump, Races2u, spinner ride and rock wall. Milburn Pool will be open from 1-8pm with daily pool admission rates applying.
Cost: FREE admission, Recommended parking areas: CPHS, CPMS and ACC
More Info: Call the event hotline is 512-401-5888 for details.
New Braunfels 4th of July Fireworks
Where: Landa Park (Golf Course Dr., New Braunfels)
When: Concert starts at 6:30pm
Activities: The evening kicks off at 6:30 p.m. with a free concert at the Landa Park Dance Slab.
More Info: Visit the City of New Braunfels website.
Red, White & Buda
Where: Buda City Park (121 Main St, Buda)
When: 9ami – 11am
Activities: Bring a picnic, a blanket or your lawn chair to Buda City Park and enjoy a children’s parade at 9 a.m., children’s activities and a magician from 9 – 11 a.m., and fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
More Info: Visit the Buda Chamber of Commerce website for more details.
The Quarries Fireworks
Where: The Quarries (1400 N. Mopac Expwy., Austin)
Fireworks: At Sundown
Activities: Join Hyde Park Baptist and the Quarries Church’s Focus College Ministry at 7pm for Frisbee, kayaking, washers and a cookout!
More Info: http://hpbc.org/
Bastrop Patriotic Festival
Where: Fisherman’s Park (1200 Willow St, Bastrop)
When: 6-9:30pm, July 5
Fireworks: at dusk
Activities: Music by the Bastrop Community Chorus and Band will begin the evening festivities at 6 p.m. with people dining, children playing, and families stretched out on the grass or relaxed in lawn chairs as they await the Austin Symphonic Band and fireworks.Cost: FREE
More Info: Visit the Bastrop Chamber of Commerce website for more info.
When: activities begin at 5pm, July 5
Fireworks: roughly 9:30pm
Activities: We’ve Got Talent Contest, family fun games, tennis, Little Mr/Ms Lago Vista Contest, and the fireworks show at “dark 30” (roughly 9:30pm).
More Info: Visit the special event website for details.
Where: Shore Club Volente Beach on Lake Travis
When: 8pm, July 5
Fireworks: at dusk
Activities: They offer a fajita buffet and seating for the Fireworks show. Call 512-942-0367 for details.
Cost: $8/per person admission after 8pm
More Info: www.shoreclubtx.com
Austin Neighborhood Parades on July 4th, 2014:
We know that if you have little ones, sometimes getting out at night for the big fireworks show is not always doable. No worries. Here is a bonus roundup of local Austin parades where you can get out and soak up some patriotic style in the morning (before nap time).
- Allendale Neighborhood 4th of July Parade – July 4, 9 a.m. The Allandale Neighborhood Association will host their annual Fourth of July Parade, followed by patriotic festivities and awards for participants. To walk or ride in the parade, meet between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. on Bullard, just south of White Rock, facing Gullett Elementary. The parade begins at 9 a.m. and will travel north along Bullard, ending at the Gullett Elementary sports fields.
- Barton Hills Neighborhood Independence Day Parade – July 4, 9am. Mark your calendars now to meet at the Barton Hills Market at 8:30 AM on July 4 with your decorated bike, stroller, wagon, or pet. The Parade down Barton Hills Drive to the Barton Hills Elementary playground starts at 9:00am, where games, cookies, and cold watermelon await. (1220 Barton Hills Dr)
- Mueller 4th of July Parade & Pool Party – July 4, 9:30am – noon. The parade lineup will be at Paggi Square starting at 9:30am. The parade will leave the Square promptly at 10:00am and head down Robert Browning then taking Mattie down to conclude at Ella Wooten Park. The MNA will provide refreshments at Ella Wooten where the Pie Contest will be judged at 11:00am and the pool party will be in progress!
- NWACA 4th of July Parade – July 4, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Parade starts at Waterline and Far West in Northwest Austin, then finishes with fun afterward at Doss Elementary.
- Steiner Ranch July 4th Parade: July 4, from 9am- 11am. The Steiner Ranch family parade will kick off at 9am at the Towne Square Community Center. Children are invited to bring their decorated bikes, wagons, scooters, and strollers to participate in the parade. Other activities will include games and activities, water slide and bounce house, kiddie splash area, chalk and bubbles, and local entertainment. Enjoy face painting, balloon twisting, a DJ, food, prizes and a visit from the Lake Travis Fire Department!
- Rosedale July 4th Parade – July 4, 9:30 a.m. Join your neighbors at Ramsey Park to celebrate the 4th of July! Gather at the bleachers in the park at 9:30 a.m. to decorate bikes, hats, strollers, etc. and then at 10:00 a.m., promenade around the park. Return to the bleachers for watermelon and a water balloon toss followed by carnival games and baked goods.
Check back for more listings of neighborhood parades! Details from all areas were not yet available.
Freelance web producer, Heidi Okla is mom to three boys (ages 4, 6, and 8), and can’t pass up any opportunity for fun family adventures that she shares on FreeFuninAustin.com. Heidi also covers theatre, health and beauty topics on Austin’s LiveMom.com.